This project has developed a highly sensitive gas sensing system based on laser spectroscopy for wide applications in power plants, petrochemical industry, transportation, and human breath analysis.
發展階段｜STAGE OF DEVELOPMENT
- The research team has innovated laser spectroscopic techniques with artificial intelligence to achieve ultrasensitive, ultra-dynamic-range and online gas detection.
- The technical innovation allows direct applications to the fields of environmental protection and medical treatment, including exhaust monitoring in power plants, the petrochemical industry and vehicle emission, as well as components monitoring in patient breath. The gas sensing system can provide a variety of information about the concentration, temperature, and pressure of multiple harmful gas components such as CO, NOx, NH3, SO2 in real time.
- Our research to date has resulted in more than 80 peer-reviewed journal publications and 6 US and Chinese patents. These sensors are expected to further contribute to the next-generation sensing systems required for robotics and smart city.
- LaSense Technology, founded as a spin-off company from our laboratory, has won many prestigious awards including gold medal in 2021 International Exhibition of Inventions Geneva, grand-class award in the 6th Hong Kong University Student Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competition, gold medal in the 12th Challenge Cup China University Student Entrepreneurship Plan Competition, and completed the multi-million yuan angel round of financing in 2021.
如何解決市場痛點｜RESPONSE TO MARKET PAIN POINTS
A long-term issue for the selective catalytic reduction (SCR) control of nitrogen oxides in coal-fired power plants is that the amount of ammonia sprayed in the process cannot be accurately determined. The insufficient injection of ammonia may weaken the denitrification capacity. The over use of ammonia may cause ammonia slip, further aggravating the formation of haze and causing secondary pollution. Our invention can accurately measure the content of nitrogen oxides and ammonia simultaneously without the need for sampling. Thus, the ammonia injection will be accurately determined so that the SCR system operates without risks of ammonia slip and secondary pollution.
- 曝光機會Visibility and Exposure